Dow Live Earth Run for Water

Dow Live Earth Run for Water

14 January, 2011
Eye-opening global event
6km run raises awareness of the water crisis
Contact

Accessing safe drinking water is a problem for one in eight people in the world. Each year, there are over 1.8 million deaths from diarrheal diseases and 5,000 children die each day because of the lack of adequate water infrastructure. Though 70% of the Earth’s surface is water, 97.5% of it is saltwater, leaving only 2.5% for use by 7 billion people.
To create awareness and solutions for access to clean water, Dow has sponsored The Dow Live Earth Run for Water event, which took place in over 150 cities around the world, including 550 participants in Hong Kong. Participants ran 6 km, which is the average distance that many women and children need to walk everyday to access water that may not even be suitable for drinking. Cantopop singer Hins Cheung was on hand to support and perform at the event. Funds raised through Hong Kong’s Run event went to A Child’s Right, an NGO that is dedicated to providing clean water for children.

By: Ecozine Staff
Contact

Comments

Be the first to comment on this Article

Popular content